When it comes to feeling positive about yourself, a fresh start is always a good thing. So sometimes it is necessary to do some spring cleaning in winter. This could be in your home, throwing out those old papers and junk mail; it could be your wardrobe, lets go for a new look; but today it is all about winter cleaning out your refrigerator.
Let’s put Winter cleaning the refrigerator on the agendaRELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
- Clean your refrigerator with water and vinegar.
- While you’re busy with the spring cleaning, spare a thought for how environmentally friendly the contents of your fridge is. Remember that lamb and beef have the highest CO2 footprint and chicken and fish are much lower.
- It is estimated that foodborne diseases cause more than 127,000 hospitalizations and 3,000 deaths annually. If you’re harboring doubts as to whether a product is not yet already been spoiled, throw it away!
- Keep your refrigerator at 0 -3 degrees at all times, which helps to protect you from food-borne illness.
- Eggs are good for three to five weeks, cheese should be good for three to four weeks, and meats should always be eaten as soon as possible and in any case within a week. Fish should be eaten within two days of purchase, and all traces of cooked food should no longer in the refrigerator for more than five days. It’s a good idea to keep your frozen foods labeled accordingly so that you know exactly how old it is and eat the older products first.
- An easy way to get rid of a smell in your fridge is to crumple a brown paper-bag and put it in for a few days. Odors should be absorbed by the paper.
- Pay attention to the zones in the refrigerator:
Fruits and vegetables are in the separate compartments in the lower portion of the refrigerator.
Perishable food such as fish, fish products and meat or meat products store best in the coldest part, eggs on the glass plate.
One floor up are dairy products such as yogurt and cream.
On the top shelf cheeses, cooked (covered) as leftovers or smoked fish or meats.
- Acting on it, that your fridge is filled with foods that make you fit and well fed!
(picture: matthhewresnick, oliverascleaningsvc)