The first time I tried Nasi Goreng I was blown away.
I could not believe this delicious mixture of seafood and meat with egg, spices and vegetables was a breakfast dish in countries such as Indonesia and Malaysia.
Paleo nasi goreng
RELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
I would love to think of you having that same kind of glorious revelation too and because of that I am so excited to share my Paleo nasi goreng recipe!
I’ve changed it from a GI-spiking rice dish to one that will sustain you for a lot longer. And I believe that it is even better than the original.
If you are avoiding all types of soy, even tamari and miso, then simply replace it with coconut aminos or increase the quantity of sugar-free fish sauce to your taste.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Course: Breakfast / Main
Allergens: Fish sauce, egg, shrimp
-600 g (1 lb 5 oz.) cauliflower, outer leaves removed, roughly chopped
-4 tablespoons coconut oil
-350 g (12⅓ oz.) chicken thigh fillets, skin on and cut into 2 cm pieces
-150 g (5¼ oz). bacon, cut into 2 cm pieces
-4 spring onions, thinly sliced
-1 long red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
-2 garlic cloves, crushed
-1 small carrot, finely diced
-1 celery stalk, finely diced
-½ teaspoon shrimp paste
-80 g (2¾ oz.) Chinese cabbage (wong bok), finely shredded
-150 g (5¼ oz.) shelled, deveined and cooked baby prawns
-80 g (2¾ oz.) bean sprouts
-4 tablespoons fried shallots or garlic (to make your own, see below)
-3 tablespoons tamari or coconut aminos
-1 tablespoon fish sauce
-1 teaspoon tamarind paste
-4 free-range organic eggs
-Salt and freshly ground black pepper
-Lime wedges, to serve
-4 tablespoons cultured vegetables or krauts or your choice
-Fried Shallots or Garlic*
-250 ml (8½ fl oz / 1 cup) coconut oil
-4 French shallots or garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1. Place the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until it forms the size of small, rice grain-like granules. Set aside.
2. Heat a large wok or deep frying pan over medium–high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil and heat until just smoking.
3. Add half the chicken and stir-fry for 3 minutes, or until brown and just cooked.
4. Transfer to a bowl, then stir-fry the remaining chicken in another tablespoon of oil and transfer to the bowl.
5. Add the bacon to the pan and stir-fry for 3 minutes until golden and crispy.
6. Transfer to the bowl with the cooked chicken. Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan and heat over medium heat.
7. Add the spring onion, chilli and garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
8. Add the carrot and celery and stir-fry for a further 3 minutes.
9. Return the chicken and bacon to the pan, then add the shrimp paste, cabbage and prawns and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until the cabbage wilts.
10. Add the cauliflower rice, bean sprouts, 2 tablespoons of fried shallots, tamari or coconut aminos, fish sauce and tamarind.
11. Stir-fry for 2 minutes until heated through. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
12. Heat half of the remaining oil or fat in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
13. Crack two eggs into the pan and fry until the whites set and the yolks begin to harden.
14. Transfer the eggs to a plate and repeat with the remaining eggs and oil.
15. Season with salt and pepper.
16. Spoon the nasi goreng into four serving bowls, top each one with a fried egg and the remaining fried shallots and serve with lime wedges.
17. Spoon 1 tablespoon of cultured vegetables or kraut on each plate.
*Fried shallots or garlic: to make your own fried shallots or garlic, melt the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots or garlic and cook for 2–3 minutes until golden.
Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. (You can re-use the oil for sautéing vegetables or cooking meat, chicken or fish.)
The Paleo Way 10 Week Activation Program is a vibrant health, weight management and fitness program, tailored to a Paleo lifestyle. It teaches you the synergy between eating good food, moving your body every day and looking at the positive sides to life. The secrets to a healthier and happier life.