Whether you are throwing a roof-top party for friends, attending an outdoor barbecue, or just grilling for your family, the July 4th is quickly approaching and it’s time to start planning what to make for the big day. Indulging a little on your family favorite dishes is expected, but try switching out the meat or cheese to a leaner version and you will save yourself some calories. You could also change an unhealthy dish for one of these healthier but still delicious options below.
The healthy July 4th recipes:
1. Mango Salsa:
RELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
2 Mangoes, Peeled & diced
1/2 Cup peeled, diced cucumber
1/2 Red Pepper, diced
1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro, diced
1/3 Cup Cilantro leaves
1 Lime, juiced
1/2 Lemon, juiced
1. Combine ingredients, mix well and serve with blue corn chips.
2. Burger Bar:
Ingredients for the Burgers:
99% Fat Free Ground Beef (beef burgers)
99% Fat Free Ground Turkey (turkey burgers)
Ingredient options for the Bar:
Skim OR Part-Skim Cheese of choice
Cremini mushrooms cooked with thyme & olive oil
1. Use ground beef and/or turkey to cook your burgers to perfection.
2. Have your guests choose their favorite toppings from your toppings bar.
3. Independence Day Potatoes:
1 Bag of red, yellow, and purple potatoes
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 Teaspoon Rosemary
1 Teaspoon Thyme
1 Teaspoon Oregano
1 Teaspoon Parsley
1. Rinse and then slice potatoes so they are coin shaped.
2. Spread olive oil & seasonings on top of potatoes and mix.
3. Cook potatoes until try start turning crispy and enjoy.
4. Hummus American Flag:
Blue corn chips
Red Peppers cut into long strips
1. Place blue corn chips in a square shape on the top left of a large platter.
2. Place the red pepper pieces horizontally for the red “stripes” part of the flag.
3. Finish adding all the red stripes before you add the horizontal lines of the hummus.
5. Grilled Pineapple & Chicken Kabobs
1/3 Cup pineapple preserves
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts 99% fat-free, cut into small cubes
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into cubes
1 cup pineapple chunks
1 Mix pineapple preserves, soy sauce and pepper in a bowl.
2. Place mixture and rest of ingredients on a heavy duty foil sheet.
3. Grill over medium heat for 15 minutes turning chicken occasionally to cook evenly or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
4. Place chicken, peppers and pineapple on kabobs.
You may want to check out these top 5 chicken paleo recipes too!