New Year’s resolutions
Personally, I am not a big fan of New Year’s resolutions. I don’t necessarily believe in designating a specific day to improving one’s self as often it does little more than set ourselves up for a feeling of failure or of letting ourselves down if we have bit off more that we can chew or are not quite ready.
Determined desires and goals and commitments to them can and should be made any day of the year, any time of day.RELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
But then again, ‘whatever works’ and I’m aware that there are plenty of people for whom New Year resolutions make the ideal springboard for changes.
Take some time to reflect
So whether you are somebody who likes to start afresh on January 1st or, like me, you don’t care what time of year it is – here is an exercise we can all benefit from. You just need to give it a little bit of thought and be 100% honest throughout.
And you won’t need any diet books, hypnotherapy guides or fitness equipment, all you need to do is grab a pen and a notebook or a piece of paper and accurately answer these 20 questions to yourself about yourself…
1. Where in my life in the past year have I felt the most alive, why?
2. Where in my life in the past year have I felt the most negative, why?
3. How can I re-structure my time and tasks to make life easier?
4. Are there any areas of self doubt that need looking at?
5. Am I holding onto anything I should be letting go of?
6. Am I avoiding a tough conversation with someone, or generally avoiding anything?
7. Are there any poor habits that it would benefit me to break?
8. Are there any new habits that I would like to cultivate?
9. What am I most proud of this past year?
10. Is there anything or anyone I need to forgive?
12. How did I spend my free time & was it with something that resonated with my core self?
13. Where am I feeling stuck?
14. Have I been unfair to anyone or to myself?
15. What lessons have I learned?
16. If I could do anything with my new year what would it be?
17. Am I truly passionate about my career?
18. How well did I take care of my body, mind & soul?
19. How have I allowed worry or fear to hold me back?
20. How can I become a better version of me this year?
It can be very inspiring and surprising to write things out and be truly honest with ourselves.
Take the time and trouble to apply some serious thought to each of these and deliver your answer with complete honesty. You will probably find some of your own answers fascinating!
With all the right intentions, this year can be your best year ever!
Why not? How can you move towards living your dream this new year, this new day, this very moment? Start by answering these questions and use the information to drive you forward into a wonderful 2016.
Connect with Expert Kelly Bentley