Combatting cellulite is a huge industry, with many products claiming to eradicate the dreaded ‘bumpy orange peel look’ that women often have on their thighs. Skincare commercials have many women thinking the answer can be found in a bottle, but a far more effective answer is foam rolling for cellulite.
Contrary to popular belief, cellulite isn’t caused by toxins, circulation problems, excess water storage, or anything else. It is exactly the same as ordinary fat, which is why exercise is the best solution for cellulite. The reason for the dimpled appearance is the underlying fat bulging through the connective tissue under the skin, and since fat doesn’t hold the skin taught like muscle does, the result is a cottage cheese-like appearance. This gets amplified by a poor diet, hormonal imbalances and lack of appropriate types of exercise.
Research indicates that cellulite can occur due to changes in physiology and metabolism, vascular changes, shifts in connective tissue structure and inflammatory processes. This article focuses on foam rolling for cellulite, and is nicely complimented by WatchFit’s Spinning for Cellulite Reduction workout.RELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
Benefits of foam rolling
“Foam rolling,” has transformed from a once mysterious technique used only by professional athletes, coaches and therapists to a familiar everyday practice for people at all levels of fitness.
Improved blood circulation throughout your skin, fascia, muscles, even tendons and ligaments where you can access them with a foam roller.
Through improved blood circulation, more efficient exchange of nutrients and waste products at a cellular level, leading to better overall cellular function and inter-cellular communication.
Lengthening of short (tight) muscles, tendons, and ligaments. To compound this benefit of foam rolling, try this lengthening elastic-band workout.
Foam rolling helps smooth out obstructions and break down adhesions, helping to increase blood-flow within the muscle.
Steps on foam rollers to get rid of cellulite:
There are several different types of foam rollers available in market. Each roller effectively stretches the muscle out in a similar manner, though the denser the roller or the deeper the ridges on the roller, the more intense the stretch will be.
1. Massages from foam rollers directly target the fascia in a person’s body. Fascia is a soft tissue that covers the body’s muscles and connective tissue. This is where cellulite mostly lies.
The fascia is prone to overuse, which is where a foam roller comes into play. The use of the foam roller creates a smooth, gentle massage, which helps to aid with the stretch and release of the fascia. In turn, skin looks tighter, smoother and more toned.
2. When used for massage, foam rolling exercises release tensions and smooths out abrasions in restricted fascia. The result is like receiving a deep tissue massage. You can use the foam roller before and after a workout in order to promote flexibility and enhance healing too.
3. The foam roller massage rolls out and flattens your areas of cellulite. This is not a cure but a short-term solution. Twenty minutes a day of foam roller massages is enough time to help make your signs of cellulite disappear.
The most important key to these exercises is to do them regularly. Keep at it and make them a part of your daily routine.
4. Place your roller on the floor with the roller underneath your affected areas. Put yourself into a basic position by putting your arms and hands in proper position. Move back and forth from proximal to distal.
At first, you may want to put yourself on the floor and help move in that fashion. Eventually you will be able to just use your hands and arms, which is a more effective use of this foam roller massage technique.
5. Foam roller gives a temporary relief instantly on the appearance of cellulite. But in order to meet desirable long term results, other treatments for cellulite must be done in combination.
The rollers come in various colors and sizes. You can perform self-myofascial release massage on yourself with a foam roller. To complement your foam rolling for cellulite, integrate these foods that fight cellulite into your diet as well.