There are many exercises you can do for your triceps, some of them are body weight, others making use of free weights (i.e. dumbbells) or gym machines.
Today I’d like to share with you three exercises you can do at home without any equipment.
Working with busy corporate employees and entrepreneurs, I had to make things easy for them as they have very limited time and can’t carry equipment with them.RELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
You can do these exercises at home and anywhere you find yourself. If you travel you can do them in your hotel room, if you are in a park you can do them there as well. So below you can find 3 exercises to get rid of bingo wings.
1. Tricep Dips
Good old tricep dips. They target the bingo wings perfectly.
1. Sitting, place your hands about shoulder-width apart on a secured bench or on the floor.
2. If on a bench, slide your butt off the front of the bench with your legs extended out in front of you. Other options for beginners are: knees bent feet on the ground, knees bent lifting the toes off the ground and resting feet only on heels.
3. Straighten your arms, keeping a slight bend in your elbows to keep tension on your triceps and off your elbow joints.
4. Repeat 10-12 reps, 2-3 sets
2. Press ups
Any type of press-ups will do, but in particular diamond press ups, Diamond press ups are as your regular press ups but forming a diamond, or triangle, bringing together your thumbs and index fingers.
Diamond press-ups might be difficult for some, thus here are some suggestions to begin with:
1. First practice the classic press-ups. Note: when you lower yourself in the press up, ensure your elbows go back, along your body, instead of out to the side
2. Practice diamond press-ups against a wall first
3. Practice diamond press-ups with the hands on a higher surface than the legs, but lower than what you would do against the wall
4. Practice diamond press-ups with the knees on the ground first. Note: ensure the knees are behind your hips and not under. Ensure your hips lower with the shoulders, if they knees are under the hips your shoulders and chest will go down while your hips will stay up.
5. Practice diamond small press-ups (i.e. bending your elbows just a few cm, trying to go lower but with a good technique)
Remember: if you lose technique, further repetitions of the same exercises are useless.
By far my favourite exercise for triceps. Why?
Well here are just a few reasons:
– Works the triceps but also the core muscles
– Is safe on the back. There is no way you can hurt your back doing the crab walk
– It is movement, as opposed to static exercises. In our day to day lives we move around is many different positions, so why limit our practice to static exercises.
– It is multilateral training. That means if trains and strengthens your body from many angles.
– It challenges balance and teaches body weight transfer
– It challenges mobility and flexibility in your ankles, wrists, hips and shoulders
– Improves posture
– Improves co-ordination
Crab walk technique:
1. Sit on the floor facing up
2. Place your hand behind you about shoulder-width apart. Ideally fingers should be pointing the same way as the toes. If your wrists hurt it’s ok to turn them out, but work towards gradually building up to fingers facing the same way at the toes
3. Lift your butt high of the ground, almost parallel to the ground if you can, if not build up to that
4. Look forward so you see where you’re going
5. Step forward starting with one left hand, then left foot, right hand, right foot. Don’t worry too much about sequence, it will come naturally
6. Step with the ball of the food first – ball of the foot is the soft portion of your foot right under the toes.
7. Decide on a distance and walk
Awesome right? With these great fun exercises to get rid of bingo wings, right?
You can find and learn this exercise and plenty more on my WatchFit programmes.
There you have it – three straightforward but highly effective exercises for your triceps that you can do right now…
• 10-12 reps of triceps dips
• 10-12 reps of diamond press-ups
• 1min-1min30sec of crab walk
• Repeat for 2-3 sets.
Other exercises for triceps:
• Triceps dumbbells or barbell extensions
• Triceps cable extensions
• Triceps press with resistance bands
• Bent-Over row
Connect with Expert Alexandra Merisoiu