We all know that if you want to get in shape, you have to put some work into it. And yes, that means exercise.
But what would you say if I told you that there was a way to exercise that would help you gain muscle and lose fat the quickest, and exercise the least. You heard me right – minimise the time, optimise the results!
There is a way and it is called hormonally correct exercise
RELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
There is no special program you have to start nor a new workout craze you follow. You just have to understand how your body responds to exercise.
Hormones are responsible for making everything happen inside of your body, including weight loss.
If you understand how to tap into your hormones, you can turn your body into a fat burning and muscle gaining machine. So let’s find out how!
The main hormone you have to pay attention to is cortisol
After a strenuous workout, your adrenal glands secrete cortisol in response to the stress on your body. This is a temporary rise in cortisol so that you body can deal with the stressors.
If cortisol hangs around for too long, it inhibits muscle and bone growth, which is obviously problematic if you’re trying to get into shape. Excess cortisol can also cause fertility issues, decreased blood flow to areas of the body, increased blood pressure, problems with the thyroid gland, and decreased immune function.
So what does this mean in terms of working out?
If you work out too frequently and too strenuously (or if you are chronically stressed), your cortisol levels will not return to normal. The elevated cortisol will stall your muscle gains and possibly lead to increased belly fat.
How do you optimize cortisol to your benefit?
– First, you must try and control the stressors in your life.
– Learn how to deal with mental stresses more efficiently by practicing meditation.
– Remove yourself from unnecessary stressful situations.
– And lastly, work out in a hormonally correct way.
3 steps to the perfect workout
If you want to optimize your cortisol levels so that it helps you gain muscle and lose fat, follow these steps:
1. Workout hard, include lifting heavy amounts of weight and/or high reps of bodyweight exercises. Push yourself so that you know you will be sore.
2. Once you are sore from your workout, do not perform more exercise until you are no longer sore. This means you will be getting several days of rest to allow your cortisol levels to come back down and your body to recover.
3. On the days when you are sore, you can do cardiovascular exercise, but keep it under 30 minutes. Cardio over 30 minutes will also increase cortisol levels.
Within these three guidelines, you can formulate your workout however you like with whatever exercises you like!
This is the most effective, healthy (in terms of hormones) and efficient workout you can perform. You will see results quickly and have to exercise less. Who doesn’t love the sound of that!
Happy New Year and happy exercising!
Connect with Expert Dr Kristin.