Are you pressed for time, but still want to get a great workout in? Your answer is a cardio circuit workout! All you need is a timer, 2 dumbbells of your choice, and less than 15 minutes to get in a good sweat & build up your strength & endurance! You will do 30 seconds of work (as many reps as possible in that time), take a 15 second rest, & then move onto the next exercise, alternating between cardio & upper body exercises:
1) High Knees
– Run in place while lifting your knees high to the level of your waist. Engage your abs as the knee comes up.
RELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
– Pump your arms to warm up your upper body.
2) Bicep Curls
– Stand with feet slightly apart, knees slightly bent, abs tight. Grasp a dumbbell in each hand with an underhand grip. Lock elbows into the side of your torso and rest weights in your hand, on the front (or just outside) of the thighs.
– INHALE: Curl one dumbbell to your shoulder.
– EXHALE: Lower dumbbell to starting position, then curl the dumbbell in your opposite hand.
One curl on each side equals one rep.
– Keeping abs tight will help protect your lower back. If your body leans backward as your curl up the weight, then the weight is too heavy. Keep elbows pressed into your sides for support and to isolate and build the biceps. This exercise can also be done in a seated position.
3) Jumping Jacks
– Jump your legs out as you bring your hands overhead, then jump back to standing.
– Add in some cross jacks to work your inner thighs. Open your arms out to the sides as you jump your legs wide. Cross your feet as you jump your legs together while crossing your arms in front of your chest.
4) Overhead Tricep Extensions
– With this exercise, while you’ll definitely tone your triceps, the muscles in your upper back and rear shoulders will also feel the burn. Sweet!
– Grab a pair of dumbells and stand tall with your feet shouder-width apart. Hold the dumbells above your head, palms facing each other.
– Without moving your upper arms, lower the dumbells behind your head. Pause , then straighten your arms return to the starting position.That is one rep.
– Lower into a crouching squat with your hands on the floor.
– Do a squat thrust by jumping your feet back into a plank position.
– Do one basic push-up, bending the elbows and then straightening back to a plank.
– Jump the feet forward to the hands, and come into a squat.
– Do an explosive jump straight up, getting as much height as you can.
**Repeat 3 times
If you want to put in a little extra work to REALLY feel the burn, add in 1 minute of mountain climbers & 1 minute of push ups at the end of your 3 rounds!