Abs are one of the most critical areas for women when it comes to burning fat and building lean muscle. This ab workout for women can help you get rid of that stubborn belly fat and create the body you always wanted. It targets the upper and lower abs, as well as the obliques.
It is important to understand that there is no such thing as spot reduction and therefore it is impossible to burn just the fat around your stomach. This ab workout incorporates high intensity intervals, in addition to the ab exercises, so it will help you both burn the extra fat and tone those muscles into a nice six pack.
1. PLANK – Get on your palms and toes, face down. Make sure your shoulders are over your wrists and your body forms a straight line from your heels to the top of your head. Engage your core and squeeze your abs. Hold this position for 20s.RELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
2. MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS – From the plank position start bringing your knees into your chest, alternating between left and right leg. Every time you bring the knee in, squeeze your abs and exhale. Do it for 20s slowly and then do it as fast as you can for 20s.
3. V-UP –Lie down on your back, legs extended, arms extended over your head. At the same time start lifting your legs, arms and shoulders off the floor. At the end touch your toes with your fingers and slowly lower your legs, arms and shoulders down towards the floor. Do not touch the floor with your legs. Do 15 reps.
4. TOE TOUCH – Extend your legs straight up, heels facing the ceiling. Touch your toes with your fingertips, lifting your shoulder off the floor and exhaling every time you reach towards the toes. Do 20 reps.
5. LEG LIFT WITH HIP RAISE – Lie down, head and shoulders on the floor, legs extended. Lift your legs up to a 90 degree angle. When you reach that angle, push your hips and legs straight up, as if you were trying to kick the ceiling. Exhale on the way up and inhale on the way down. Do 15 reps.
6. X-UP – Lie down on your back, spread your legs and arms on the floor, forming an X shape with your body. Start lifting your right arm and shoulder and your left leg, aiming to touch your toes with your fingers. Keep the arm and the leg straight and exhale on the way up. Lower your arm and leg and switch to the other side. Do 20 reps (right + left counts as one).
7. BICYCLE CRUNCH – Lie down on your back, put your fingertips behind your ears and extend your legs. At the same time start bringing your left knee towards your right shoulder and your right elbow and shoulder towards your left hip. Switch to the other side and repeat. Do 30 reps (left + right counts as one).
8. RUSSIAN TWIST – Sit up and lean back until your back forms a 45 degree angle with the floor. Keep your legs bent and heels on the floor. Put your hands together in front of you and start twisting your upper body to the right, aiming to touch the floor with your fingertips. Then twist to the left and touch the floor. Do 30 reps.
The above 8 exercises make up 1 set. You should do 3 to 4 sets, following the outlined order.
For maximum results, add some form of cardio exercise for at least 30 minutes 4 to 5 times a week. You can jog, run, cycle, swim or use the elliptical or stair master machine in the gym. Basically, anything works that elevates your heart rates.
In addition, don’t forget that abs are made in the kitchen just as much as in the gym. So, make sure that you eat healthy, avoid processed and prepackaged foods. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and have 4 to 5 small healthy meals.