If you have decided to scrap the meat and go vegetarian, you have made a healthy choice. A vegetarian diet can offer you many health benefits, including improved weight management, a stronger immune system and the potential to live longer. Making one simple change to your diet such as adding a salad almost every day will pay off with plenty of health benefits.
Select one of the following salads and adjust it according to your caloric needs.
Also see these Vegetarian protein recipesRELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
1- Vegetarian tabbouleh salad
Try this unsual tabbouleh made with feta cheese, edamame soy beans, pesto and fresh herbs for plenty of flavor!
1 1/4 cups uncooked bulgur wheat
2 cups water, boiling
1/4 cup prepared pesto
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 cups cherry tomatoes, chopped
3/4 cup (90g) feta cheese, crumbled
1 can chickpeas, drained
1/3 cup green onions , sliced think
2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 cups shelled edamame
– Combine the bulgur wheat and boiling water in a large bowl. Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Drain.
– Combine pesto and lemon juice; stir with a whisk. Combine bulgur, pesto mixture, tomatoes, feta, chickpeas, green onions, parsley, pepper and edamame in a large bowl; and toss gently to combine. Serve with pita halves.
2- Watermelon & feta salad
½ a watermelon (about 1½ kg), peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
200g block feta cheese, cubed
large handful black olives
handful flat-leaf parsley and mint leaves, roughly chopped
1 red onion, finely sliced into rings
olive oil and balsamic vinegar, to serve
3- Lemony potato, broccoli & goat’s cheese salad
1 tbsp olive oil
zest and juice 1 lemon
1 broccoli head, cut into florets
200g green beans, trimmed
20g pack dill, leaves roughly chopped
100g goat’s cheese
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
– Boil the potatoes for 12-15 mins until tender. Drain and place in a serving bowl with the oil, lemon zest and juice. Leave to cool.
– Add the broccoli and beans to the pan of boiling water. Cook for 4 mins until tender but still with some bite. Drain, then cool under cold running water.
– Stir the drained broccoli and beans into the cooled potatoes with the dill and some seasoning. Break the goat’s cheese into chunks and scatter over with the pine nuts.
4- Quinoa, lentil & feta salad
1 tsp olive oil
½ onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp tarragon, roughly chopped
400g green lentils rinsed and drained
¼ cucumber, lightly peeled and diced
100g feta cheese, crumbled
6 spring onions, thinly sliced
zest and juice 1 orange
1 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
– Cook the quinoa in boiling water for 10-15 mins until tender, drain well, then set aside to cool.
– Heat the oil in a small pan, then cook the onion until softened. Add the tarragon, stir well, and then remove from the heat.
– Stir the softened onion and tarragon into the cooled quinoa along with the lentils, cucumber, feta, spring onions, orange zest and juice and vinegar. Toss well together and chill until ready to serve.
5- Vegetarian Caesar Salad with Chickpeas
1 can beans (or chickpeas), drained
1/2 cup vegetarian Caesar salad dressing
1/2 head romaine lettuce
1 cup toasted croutons
1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
4 lemon wedges
Boil chickpeas in water; Drain the water well, and stir in 3 tablespoons of salad dressing.
In a large salad bowl, gently toss together the chopped romaine pieces, croutons and chickpeas with remaining salad dressing until evenly coated. Divide salad mix into 4 salad bowls and top each with bowl shaved Parmesan cheese, black pepper, and a lemon wedge.
6- Mango-Cucumber Rice Salad
1 ½ cup rice blend
1 ¼ cup quinoa, rinsed
Grated zest and juice (1 lime)
2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sugar
Freshly ground pepper
1 cup mango
1 cucumber : peeled and diced
1 red jalapeno thinly sliced
2 scallions thinly sliced
½ cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup chopped peanuts
Bring salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the rice and cook, until tender, 25 to 35 minutes
Bring salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the quinoa and cook until tender.Drain the grains and rinse under cold water until cool; shake off the excess water.
Whisk the lime juice and zest, the peanut oil, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add the rice mixture, mango, cucumber, jalapeno, scallions, cilantro and peanuts and stir to combine.
Also check out these amazing Vegetarian recipes rich in both protein and iron