Preparation is key to following and maintaining a healthy eating plan, but sometimes life gets in the way and we don’t have the time to spend hours slaving over our oven preparing meals.
The following four recipes are quick to put together, healthy and tasty to boot which will leave you counting down the minutes to lunchtime!
Chunky Vegetable Soup
RELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
– 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 1 medium onion, diced
– 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
– 2 stalks celery, diced
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
– 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock – low salt
– 100g cooked chickpeas
– 1 can diced tomatoes
– Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
– 1 medium courgette, chopped
1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic for 4-5 minutes. Add the diced sweet potatoes and cook for 6-8 minutes.
2. Stir in the stock, diced tomatoes with the juices and Italian seasoning. The broth should cover about half of the saucepan; add more if necessary.
3. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook on low heat for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the courgette and cook for 15 minutes more. Serve hot.
This will make 4 portions so you could freeze some portions or alternatively half the portions for the ingredients and you’ll get 2 servings that could do you for 2 days in a row
Turkey Burgers (Makes 2 burgers)
– ½ onion
– 1 clove of garlic, crushed
– 1 tsp of dried oregano
– 4 basil leaves or dried
– 2 handfuls of baby spinach
– Zest of ½ lemon
– 250g turkey mince
– ½ tsp of black pepper
– 1 tbsp of olive oil
1. Blitz the onion, garlic, oregano, basil, spinach, lemon zest, and pepper in a food processor until finely chopped. Mix in with the turkey mince in a large bowl and combine well. Form into 2 patties and refrigerate for at least 1 hr.
2. Heat a grill, brush the burgers with olive oil and cook until firm to the touch
3. Wrap it up to have at lunch with either a wholemeal spelt bread or gluten free bread with some green salad
Grilled Salmon Salad
– 1 salmon steak or darne
– 50g green beans
– ½ little gem lettuce
– ½ red onion sliced
– 1 tbsp black olives
– 1 lemon wedge
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– ½ tbsp lemon juice
– 1 small clove of garlic, crushed
1. Steam or boil the green beans for 2 minutes, drain
2. Tear the lettuce into bite sized pieces and place in a bowl with the onion, olives and beans
3. Heat the grill, brush the salmon with some olive oil and cook under grill for 2 – 3 minutes
4. Toss the salad with dressing and place salmon on top
– 370g quinoa
– 25 g chopped parsley
– 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
– 25 g fresh mint
– 1 garlic clove, crushed
– 1 fresh red chilli, chopped
– Lettuce leaves whole
– 45 g black olives, sliced
– 120ml lemon juice
– 1 tbsp minced fresh basil
– 60ml olive oil
1. Place all the ingredients expect lettuce and olives in a mixing bowl and toss together lightly.
2. Chill for 1 hour if you have the time or more to all flavours to blend.
3. Wash and dry the lettuce leaves and add tabbouleh and olives
Optional: add one cooked breast of chicken or grilled mackerel fillet or 100g of hummus
Connect with Expert Sinead Loughnane.