This latest culinary offering from international celebrity chef and Paleo diet guru Pete Evans is a fantastic dish that will be keep you warm this winter!
Although Pete spends much of his time in his homeland of Australia, most of the rest of us are starting to feel proper winter temperatures now we are knocking on the door of December. But if you want to be nutritionally bolstered and kept warm, you won’t do much better than his Paleo Way Seafood Stew!
The Paleo Way
RELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
Pete’s Paleo Way cookery has been a huge success worldwide and his popular TV shows have spread the Paleo message throughout Australia and the USA.
Pete and his Paleo Way team kindly agreed to provide WatchFit with two recipes per month, so you can discover, prepare and experience this amazing food first hand for yourselves.
Follow these instructions to add yet another superb dish to your growing Paleo Way repertoire!
Check Pete Evans’ profile page here at WatchFit to catch up on all the other previously published Paleo recipes. It won’t be long before you have extensive and super healthy new recipes and meals at your fingertips!
What you will need:
– 4 tablespoons coconut oil or duck fat
– 2 French shallots, chopped
– 4 cloves garlic, sliced
– 4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped – see notes *
– 2 pinches saffron
– 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
– 20 ml Pernod (optional)
– 350 ml white wine
– 500 ml fish stock, chicken stock or water (plus extra if needed)
– 2 baby squid, including tentacles, cleaned, scored and cut into 1 inch pieces
– 400 g snapper, cut to 1 inch pieces
– 8 mussels, scrubbed, de-bearded and rinsed
– 13 clams (vongole), soaked in salted cooled water for 1 hour, rinsed well
– Fresh parsley and dill to serve
– 4 green king prawns, peeled and deveined with tails intact
1. Heat the coconut oil in a large heavy-based pan or casserole dish over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook gently until soft.
2. Add the tomatoes, saffron, thyme and stir together. Pour in the Pernod (if using) and tilt the pan slightly to catch it alight and flambé. Pour in the wine and simmer gently for 4 minutes.
3. Add the squid, baby octopus, prawns and snapper then pour in the fish stock. Add more stock so the seafood is just covered. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
4. Finally, add the mussels and clams then cover with lid and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes or until the mussels and clams open. Finish with a sprinkle of parsley and dill and serve.
The easiest way to peel tomatoes is to bring a saucepan filled with water to the boil.
Remove the top core of the tomato and score the bottom in a small cross using a sharp paring knife. Blanch the tomatoes in the boiling water for 60 – 90 seconds then drain. Plunge the tomatoes in ice-cold water. Peel away the skins and cut in halves or quarters, then remove the seeds.
The Paleo Way 10 Week Activation Program is a vibrant health, weight management and fitness program, tailored to a Paleo lifestyle. It teaches you the synergy between eating good food, moving your body every day and looking at the positive sides to life. The secrets to a healthier and happier life.
Reclaim your health at The Paleo Way.
Connect with Expert Pete Evans