It is Valentine’s Weekend and that means lots of romantic meal treats going on all over the world. But that’s no reason not to make them healthy!
As part of his exclusive series of nutritious recipes with WatchFit, ‘Paleo King’ and celebrity chef Pete Evans has created something that will definitely tickle the romantic taste buds and start your Valentine’s Day on just the right note!
So follow these detailed guidelines by the brilliant Paleo Way team and surprise your partner with this addition to your culinary skills this weekend!RELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
Muesli & Berry Parfait with Coconut Cream
You can sprinkle the muesli over a scoop of your favourite Paleo ice cream or add some to your smoothies for a little extra crunch.
Feel free to play around with your own additions to the muesli.
Make sure that the coconut cream is super cold before beating it and look for a brand that contains no hidden nasties in it.
– Yield: Muesli and berries: 850 g
– Prep time: 15 minutes
– Cooking time: 25 minutes
– Difficulty: Easy
– Course: Breakfast
– Allergens: Nuts
– 85g (3 oz. / ½ cup) flaxseeds
– 35g (1¼ oz. / ¼ cup) pumpkin seeds
– 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
– 80g (2¾ / ½ cup) almonds, roughly chopped (activated it possible)
– 55g (2 oz. / ½ cup) unsweetened, shredded dried coconut
– 230g (8 oz. / 1½ cups) mixed berries – (fresh or frozen)
– 1 apple, grated
– 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
– 4 tablespoons goji berries, soaked in 125 ml (4¼ oz. / ½ cup) water for 10 minutes, then drain
– 375 mls coconut cream, chilled in the refrigerator overnight, to serve
– 1 pinch cinnamon
– 1 pinch vanilla powder
– Cacao nibs
– Fresh berries
– Micro mint leaves (optional)
1) To make the muesli, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F / Gas 4).
2) Line three baking trays with baking paper.
3) On one baking tray, toast the flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds for about 8 to 10 minutes until golden.
4) On the second baking tray, toast the almonds for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly colored.
5) On the third baking tray, toast the coconut for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly golden.
6) Once the ingredients are toasted, combine in a large bowl and set aside to cool.
7) Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine the frozen berries and 2 tablespoons of the honey.
8) Cook the mixture slowly over low to medium heat until it has a thicker, sauce-like consistency.
9) Mash the berries with a fork or potato masher to create a puree, and set aside.
10) Combine the apple, carrot and goji berries with the muesli and set aside.
11) Combine the coconut cream (ensure no coconut liquid / water from the can goes into the mixture), cinnamon and vanilla powder in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
12) Whip the cream on high speed until soft peaks form, for about 5 minutes.
In a parfait glass, spoon in a few tablespoons of the muesli mixture, followed by a few dollops of coconut cream, then the berry puree. Continue layering in the same order until you fill the glass. Repeat to fill three more glasses.
To serve, finish with a sprinkle of cacao nibs, fresh berries and micro mint leaves.
Remember to come back for more from Pete Evans and his Paleo Way team, every Friday WatchFit will be publishing a fresh Paleo recipe courtesy of Pete Evans.
The Paleo Way 10 Week Activation Program is a vibrant health, weight management and fitness program, tailored to a Paleo lifestyle.
It teaches you the synergy between eating good food, moving your body every day and looking at the positive sides to life. The secrets to a healthier and happier life.