Happy New Year! Did you have a fabulous festive season and enjoy the excesses that go with it – all the eating and drinking?
Well now it is time to get your health back on track, cleanse your system and get rid of all those toxins especially those accumulated from the food and alcohol consumed over the last 2 – 4 weeks.
Toxins are everywhere
RELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
Apart from the festive season, we live in a very toxic world and our bodies are being bombarded with toxins from processed and packaged foods, the water we drink, the skincare we use, our household cleaners and the air we breathe.
Most people are exposed to between 150–500 toxins, and that’s before we even leave the house everyday… so we really need to support, improve and optimize the function of our body’s own detoxification systems and there is no better time to do this than in the New Year.
Detoxification is what your body does naturally to neutralize, transform or get rid of unwanted materials or toxins.
It is a primary function of the body, but over the festive season most of us have added to our toxic overload through the food we have eaten:
– processed and packaged foods which have additives
– chemicals and preservatives
– trans fats
– the wrong salt
– the alcohol and caffeine we have drunk
… and all the extra lotions and potions we have used before those party nights out.
So we need to support our body’s detoxification pathways and this is where a New Year diet cleanse can be helpful.
Now I am not talking about some weird and wonderful detox where you starve yourself or drink weird and wonderful concoctions.
It has been proven that one of the best ways to restore your health and add years to your life is to regularly and safely do a natural and supported cleanse and as mentioned what better time to do this than in the New Year, get that glow back and shed those extra pounds gained over the holidays.
Here’s how toxicity could be showing up:
• Low energy, exhaustion
• Constipation, bloating and diarrhoea
• Headaches and migraines
• Allergies and asthma
• Eczema and psoriasis
• Weight gain
• Inflammation, aches and pains
• Irritability and mood swings
The human body is amazing and we have various detoxification systems in our bodies which are designed to resist damage from toxins.
The detox “powerhouse” of the body is the liver and while the body certainly has the natural ability to detox, it can only handle so much!
Your body needs a lot of extra help so think about a 10 to 28 day natural and herbal cleanse, to support your liver and aid your digestion and elimination pathways.
Detoxify your body
I have a specific cleanse pack that I recommend which is a natural and organic herbal cleanse that supports all of the detox pathways.
A note of caution here: remember that as you are cleansing you don’t want to place an additional burden on the body, you need to support all the processes of detox pathways in the body and I highly recommend that you work with a cleanse expert to ensure you are getting the best results possible.
I love this time of year and always run a 28 day supported Kick-Start Cleanse with my clients to get them back on track with their health goals.
As most of your detoxing is done through your liver, the goal is to support your liver during this process with the right antioxidants and supplements.
For the duration of the cleanse Eliminate foods that add to the toxic overload:
• Wheat and Gluten
• Sugar and Artificial sweeteners
• Packaged and Processed Foods
• Drink at least 2 – 3 litres of clean pure water daily (filtered water with fresh lemon juice, Himalayan pink salt or liquid chlorophyll added)
• Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables
• Do something that will make you sweat
• Eat real foods: be sure to opt for organic if you want to avoid chemical pollutants used in commercial farming. Eat seasonally and locally for high nutrient dense foods and opt for organic, grass fed meat to avoid antibiotic and growth hormone residues.
• Ensure you are gaining adequate fat and protein each day: if you don’t have enough this can cause a stress response due to a perceived lack of nutrition, preventing the body from feeling safe enough to carry out additional detoxification processes. Organic coconut oil and ghee are great sources of fat.
• Antioxidants and supplements to support the body
Basic meal plan
– On waking: a glass of warm water with ½ fresh squeezed lemon
– Breakfast: Organic Green juice with added organic protein powder
– Lunch: Any vegetable soup (preferably homemade and organic e.g., Leek and Watercress Soup) with coconut bread
– Dinner: Organic chicken breast, roasted vegetables and lots of leafy greens.
Happy cleansing and don’t forget if you want to get your health back on track and do a cleanse the right way, please work with an expert.
Connect with Expert Kerry Madgwick.