Why do we need a cleansing diet for the liver or to boost weigh loss you may ask? You may be wondering what the liver has to do with weight loss.
Quite a lot actually!
The health of our liver in many ways determines our overall healthRELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
If we are in any stage of metabolic dysfunction our liver is compromised and the body holds on to weight as it determines that it is in crisis. So it is crucial that we look after our liver. The liver is able to regenerate but even if it moderately impaired, as with having a fatty liver, a whole host of symptoms can occur such as weight loss resistance, sleep issues, low energy, skin problems, gas, bloating, etc.
So what is fatty liver?
This is where fat accumulates in the liver; it can be caused by drinking too much alcohol, a poor diet, a diet that is high carbohydrates (aka sugar), highly processed diet and use of medication.
The fat builds up in the liver and causes inflammation and scarring and this can lead to cirrhosis, if left untreated the scarring prevents the liver from functioning and worst case this leads to liver failure – a scary prospect so let’s love our livers!
Constant exposure to poor quality food and toxic substances compromises our liver function. The source of these toxic substances is listed below:
• Alcohol: drinking large amounts can lead to inflammation in the liver
• Sugar: can cause as much damage to the liver as alcohol
• Processed and Packaged foods: contain additives, fillers and chemicals
• Over-the-counter pain relievers: Tylenol, aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen can damage your liver, especially if taken frequently or combined with alcohol.
• Prescription medications: Some medications are linked to serious liver injury as well as certain antibiotics and anabolic steroids.
• Chemicals: Chemicals you may be exposed to can cause liver injury such as chemicals in your cleaning products, the dry cleaning solvent carbon tetrachloride and a group of industrial chemicals called polychlorinated biphenyls.
The liver performs many essential functions related to digestion, metabolism, immunity, and the storage of nutrients within the body.
These functions make the liver a vital organ without which the tissues of the body would quickly die from lack of energy and nutrients. The liver plays an active role in the process of digestion as it produces bile and filters out and destroys wastes and harmful substances such as toxins, bacteria and by products from the metabolic processes in the body.
When it comes to weight loss there are a number of liver functions that are essential in helping us with weight loss and these are:
• Controlling levels of fats, amino acids and glucose in the blood
• Breaking down food and turning it into energy
• Manufacturing, breaking down and regulating numerous hormones including sex hormones
The body is not holding on to excess fat to store the toxins. In Chinese medicine the liver is known as the green organ and one of our most powerful allies in cleansing the liver is leafy greens. These can be eaten raw, cooked, or juiced and are extremely high in plant chlorophyll which suck up environmental toxins from the blood stream and offer a powerful protective mechanism for the liver.
There are a number of other foods that support the liver:
• Garlic: activates liver enzymes that help your body flush out toxins.
• Grapefruit: High in vitamin C and antioxidants which increases the natural cleansing processes of the liver.
• Beets and Carrots: high in plant-flavonoids and beta-carotene and can help stimulate and improve overall liver function.
• Green Tea: full of plant antioxidants known as catechins, a compound known to assist liver function.
• Avocados: helps the body produce glutathione, a compound that is necessary for the liver to cleanse harmful toxins.
• Apples: High in pectin, apples aid the body in cleansing and releasing toxins from the digestive tract.
• Olive Oil: Cold-pressed organic oils such as olive, hemp and flaxseed are great for the liver when used in moderation. They help the body by providing a lipid base that can suck up harmful toxins in the body.
• Cruciferous Vegetables: broccoli and cauliflower increase natural enzymes in your body that help flush carcinogens and other toxins out of our body.
• Lemons & Limes: contain high amounts of vitamin C, drinking freshly-squeezed lemon or lime juice in the morning helps stimulate the liver.
• Walnuts: high in the amino acid arginine, walnuts aid the liver in detoxifying ammonia. They are also high in glutathione and omega-3 fatty acids, make sure you soak the nuts first.
• Turmeric: the liver’s favorite spice, add this detoxifying goodness into your next stew or veggie dish for an instant liver pick-me-up.
However, if your liver is compromised in any way, and this is probably true for the majority of the population due to our 12st century lifestyles, then you will need to do a supported liver and whole body cleanse and add in specific plant based and organic high quality supplements that have been developed to help nourish the liver.
Supplements that contain key ingredients chosen for their antioxidant, bitter and soothing properties, all of which help to keep the liver in good condition.
If you would like help choosing the right foods and supplements and getting started on a specific programme to get your liver healthy or keep it healthy connect with me by clicking here, I can help create a bespoke plan for you, and get you started straightaway.
Find out more about how we can help you increase your energy, balance your hormones and achieve optimal health, harmony and happiness.
Connect here with WatchFit Expert Kerry Madgwick