Lets face it, weekends are about many things and one of them is indulging in some hearty eating and maybe a new meal here and there. So if you are after something new and exciting to the taste buds that’s also wonderfully tasty and healthy, look no further…
As part of our exclusive weekly series, Paleo diet guru Pete Evans
and his Paleo Way team are offering something very special for you to add to your culinary repertoire.
Bubble & Squeak is so often seen as a convenient way of just using stuff up. All those leftovers, mangled together and got rid of in one sitting. Not the most elegant and stylish of foods. But as celeb chef Pete shows here, it doesn’t have to be this way!
RELATED: RECOMMENDED PLANS FOR YOU
Bubble and Squeak Frittata
Try zucchini, basil and toasted nuts, or last night’s leftover roast chicken with some asparagus, roast pumpkin and thyme, or add some smoked trout with spinach and horseradish, or . . . you get the picture!
When you’re following a paleo way of eating
, not every meal needs to be grass-fed rib eye from cattle raised on Tasmania’s green pastures (save that for birthdays and celebrations). In fact most meals use cheaper (secondary) cuts of meat and organ meats (offal).
Serves: 4 – 6
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes (plus 10 minutes for resting)
Course: Breakfast / main
– 10 organic free-range eggs
– 120 ml (½ cup) coconut cream
– Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 3 tablespoons coconut oil or other good-quality fat
– 1 large onion, sliced
– 2 garlic cloves, crushed
– 200 g leftover roast lamb or other leftover roast meat, such as chicken, beef or pork
– 200 g cooked veggies (pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot or other leftover vegetables), cut into cubes
– 300 g cooked cabbage, kale, brussels sprouts, zucchini or other leftover greens, shredded
– 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a deep baking tray with baking paper, allowing the paper to extend a few cm’s above the sides.
2. Crack the eggs into a bowl, whisk lightly with the coconut cream
and season well with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Heat the coconut oil or fat in a large frying pan over medium heat.
4. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3–5 minutes until soft and slightly golden.
5. Stir in the lamb, vegetables and parsley and cook gently for 2–3 minutes until heated through.
6. Season with salt and pepper, transfer to the prepared tray, then pour in the egg mixture. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the frittata is golden on top and the egg is cooked through.
7. Leave the frittata to cool for at least 10 minutes, then either cut into portions in the tray or use the baking paper to lift it out in one piece then transfer onto a chopping board and cut into portions and serve.
The Paleo Way 10 Week Activation Program
The Paleo Way 10 Week Activation Program is a vibrant health, weight management and fitness program, tailored to a Paleo lifestyle.
It teaches you the synergy between eating good food, moving your body every day and looking at the positive sides to life. The secrets to a healthier and happier life.
Reclaim your health at The Paleo Way and connect with Expert Pete Evans.
WatchFit Experts change lives!
And they can do the same for you.
Lost 13 Kg in Total
Location: London, United Kingdom
Working with Pollyanna changed everything. I lost 13kg, got toned and have more energy than ever!
Get same results!
Lost 45 Kg in Total
Location: London, United Kingdom
Lost 45kg after the age of 50 and now competes and wins physique competitions and runs marathons
Check our weight loss plans